The jewel of all quick mix cake recipes. My Mum used to make this cake lots when we were growing up. It is absolutely delicious, extremely simple to make and is guaranteed to be the lightest, fluffiest cake you will ever make! But the best thing about this is, it can be frozen and because it is so light it defrosts very quickly. Mum used to always have some in the freezer pre-sliced and ready to go, just in case any unexpected guests should turn up. The only trick is getting it into the freezer before it's all gone!
Lemon Tray Bakes
self-raising cake flour
lemon zest, grated
lemons, juice of
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Grease and line a 12"x9" baking tin.
- Place butter, flour, baking powder, caster sugar, eggs, milk and lemon zest in a food processor or electric mixer. Mix till just combined and smooth, but do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared tin, making sure it is even.
- bake in preheated oven 35-40 minutes, until the cake shrinks from the sides of the tin and is light golden brown.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar together and pour over the hot cake. Cool the cake in the tin.
- Remove from tin, slice the cake into 2" squares and serve or freeze.
Posted by Victoria on June 23, 2004 03:59 PM to Gourmet Greatrix