These yummy French bread toasts not only are great accompaniment to soups and salads, they also make a versatile appetizer or canapé, just top with your favourite ingredients. Try the easy combination of finely chopped tomato, garlic and basil to make a classic Italian bruschetta. Olive tapenade or roasted red peppers with goats cheese also make delicious toppings, the possibilities are endless.Recipe:
Extra Virgin olive Oil
- Slice the baguette into 3/4"-1" thick slices.
- Place the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 325°F for 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and turn all the slices over, then return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush each slice with olive oil, then return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes until thoroughly dried out and lightly browned.
- After baking, slice the garlic cloves in half and lightly rub each crostini with the garlic to add a touch of garlic flavour.
- The crostini can be stored in an airtight container for about a week.
- Adding herbs to the olive oil imparts a hint of flavour, or you can try using a flavoured oil like chilli oil.
- If you brush the oil on before any baking, the moist dough will act like a sponge and absorb much more oil, therefore this method of partially baking the crostini before brushing with the oil, yields a crisper lighter crostini.
Posted by Victoria on September 10, 2004 11:05 AM to Gourmet Greatrix