Granola makes a great breakfast or snack for any time of day (or night). It consists of rolled oats mixed with sugar or honey/maple syrup, nuts, dried fruit and/or seeds. Often store-bought Granola has ingredients that are indiscernible from each other and contain mostly oats or other filler cereal, resulting in a sawdust like texture or even flavour. You can avoid this by making this simple recipe yourself, and because this dish is so versatile you can adjust the ingredients and amounts to suit your individual taste.Recipe
chopped nuts (for example walnuts, cashews, pecans)
dark brown sugar
maple syrup or honey
dried fruit (for example raisins, sultanas, cranberries, chopped dates, diced apple, diced pear, chopped apricot)
- Heat the oven to 225°F
- In a small bowl combine the syrup, oil, salt, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, all the nuts, seeds and sugar.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the oats and stir well to coat all the ingredients evenly.
- Spread the mixture out onto a large baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the dried fruit until evenly distributed.
- If you don't have a large enough baking sheet, to spread the Granola in one thin layer, use two sheets and divide the mixture evenly between them both.
- For best results stir/shake the mixture a couple of times during baking to ensure an even colour.
- You can use any dried fruit, nuts and seeds.
- Honey can be used instead of the maple syrup.
- Add a tsp of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg to the syrup mixture for a spiced version
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Posted by Victoria on April 10, 2006 10:32 AM to Gourmet Greatrix